Bhuna khichuri is a type of rice cooked with red lentil. It has the special attraction to the Bengalis (Bangladeshis and North Eastern Indians). Particularly, during rainy days, bhuna khichuri recipe is highly demanded to those want to have a nice sleep after the dinner. Although Bengalis eat a number of curries with rice, bhuna khichuri needs only few side items to eat. You can just eat it without any other side item. But, Bengalis for making it tastier add egg, Chutney, fish fry, eggplant fry, beef curry, onion-hot chili mix, or mustard oil etc. to eat bhuna khichuri.
You can serve this khichuri with beef curry. Beef curry is the best choice for this recipe. Usually, I used to have this khichuri with dry red chili fry, onion slice, and fresh mustard oil. My husband and I love this combination. Sometimes when I want to make it different then I add eggplant fry, Hilsha fish fry or egg fry.
I want to share one story about this khichuri. My son, he loves plain rice. With plain white rice, he always needs lentil soup, which is called ‘Dal, in most of the SA countries. He cannot take rice without Dal. A few years ago, when my son was of 9 years old, we had an invitation to our friend’s house. She cooked bhuna khichuri for us. When my son went to the dining table and saw there was no white rice only ‘yellow rice’, (he calls khichuri as ‘yellow rice’) he started crying and said, “I won’t take this yellow rice; I want white rice”. Then my friend brought white rice from another neighboring friend’s house for him. Now he is 17 years and going to appear O’Levels . Until now he does not like bhuna khichuri. Although other members of my family like the bhuna khichuri very much. For this reason, I cannot make this recipe often in my house.
Compared to the taste and flavor, cooking of bhuna khichuri is not that difficult. Just mix with red lentil, then you can go ahead in the same way of cooking normal rice. Even you can go for the recipe without some of the spices listed below.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Servings: 6 persons
Ingredients bhuna khichuri recipe:
500 gm miniature rice
250 gm red lentil
100 gm green peas
6 tbsp oil
4 tbsp ghee
1 tsp ginger paste
½ cup onion slice
8-10 green chilies
1 tsp salt
5-6 pieces bay leaves
4-5 sticks cinnamon
5-6 pieces cardamoms
5-6 pieces cloves
1 tsp turmeric powder
Process for bhuna khichuri recipe:
- Mix rice and red lentils so that all ingredients mix gently.
- Wash with water and rinse it very well.
- Heat up oil and ghee in a non-stick deep pan on the burner.
- Add onion slice to the oil and fry it for 2 minutes, when oil is hot enough.
- Add ginger paste, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves to the oil.
- After about 2 min add rice and red lentil mixture and green peas.
- After stirring with spice, add 6 cups water (double than rice + red lentil).
- Cover with a lid and cook for about 20 min over high heat.
- Add green chilies when water becomes dry.
- Turn off the burner and keep the dish over the burner.
- Take out the khichuri from the burner and take in a dish.
- Your delicious bhuna khichuri is ready to serve.
- If you like my bhuna khichuri recipe please share this recipe with your family and friends.
- I love to cook and like to share my delicious food recipes with my beloved friends.
|Good Points||Bad Points|
|Low in cholesterol|
|Low in sugar|