Shrimp biryani recipe is protein rich delicious rice dominated by high-quality shrimp. Although we eat many types of biryani, which are mostly cooked with beef, or mutton or chicken, but shrimp biryani is an exception. Through use of shrimp, the biryani creates fascination to the shrimp lovers. At the same time, it makes the rice very delicious. The process of cooking rice is not difficult though, you need to care a bit about the process.
Guide for details of the recipe is received from ‘Flavors of India and Africa’ for which due acknowledgment is made to the author of the book, Khatoon Gulamani. By the way, I edited all recipes of the book before publishing.
|Preparation time||50 minutes|
|Cooking time||40 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour 30 minutes|
Ingredients for shrimp biryani
1 kg shrimp, large size
50 gm tomato
½ cup yogurt
1 tbsp ginger paste
1 tbsp garlic paste
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp bell pepper, chopped
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp onion, chopped
2 tbsp cilantro leaves, sliced
½ cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
½ tsp cardamom powder
½ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp clove powder
1 pinch nutmeg powder
¼ tspaniseed powder
100 gm potato
½ cup onion, fried
1 tbsp butter
Ingredients for rice
500 gm rice, basmati
1 stick cinnamon
1 pinch saffron
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp onion, fried
½ tsp salt
6 cups water
Process for shrimp biryani
- Wash and soak the rice for one hour before cooking.
- Remove heads and tails from the shrimp and clean them. Then shelled and deveined them.
- Cut the potato in to cubic size, wash and fry it. Keep potatoes aside.
- Liquefy the tomato with 1 cup of water.
- Soak saffron in to 1tbsp of rose water.
- Mix the yogurt with 1 cup of water and liquefied tomato.
- Add ginger, garlic, salt, lemon juice, chili, sugar, cumin, coriander, turmeric, bell pepper, and 1 tbsp oil.
- Marinate the shrimps with the mixture for 30 minutes and keep it in a refrigerator.
- Heat deep non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add 2 tbsp oil and fry onion until light brown. Add marinated shrimp to the fried onion.
- Partially cover and cook, stirring frequently until shrimps are cooked through.
- Add cilantro leaves, tomato sauce, tomato ketchup, cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, aniseed powder, clove powder, nutmeg powder, and saffron with its water.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add fried potatoes and onion to the shrimp.
- Mix well and keep aside.
- When the mixture become thick switch off the burner.
- Any extra liquid should be drained off and saved.
- Boil water and add cinnamon, cardamom, and salt to the water.
- Add soaked rice to the water.
- When the rice is partially cooked, drain out water.
- Take a deep non-stick frying pan. Put one layer of rice then spread oil and half of fried onion over the rice. Spread cooked shrimp and then cover with the rest of rice. Spread rest of fried onion and butter.
- Cover with a lid and cook it over low heat.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Yummy and delicious shrimp biryani is ready to serve.
- Serve the biryani to your beloved guest or family members.
|Nutrition Facts: Amount per serving|
If you like the shrimp biryani recipe, please share the recipe with your family and friends.
I love to cook and like to share my delicious food recipes with my beloved friends.