Recipe by Sultana
Shashlik is a very popular snack item which is liked by people of almost every region, particularly in SA and ME countries. Shashlik recipe and ingredients vary due to the different choice of people. Especially since the ingredients differ for those who are vegetarian or do not like to include meat. Although most people like to include chicken as the main ingredient, yet for vegetarians, it has to be meatless. Sultana’s Recipe thus included two variants of shashlik recipes: chicken shashlik and vegetable shashlik.
Usually, in the case of chicken shashlik, medium size boneless chicken pieces and similar pieces of ingredients other than ingredients like onion, capsicum, tomato etc. are included in the shashlik. All these pieces are arranged in sequence and inserted in a skewer (wooden spike) through the center of each item. Chicken shashlik must be baked either in the electric oven or in the open grill burner for direct heating of the chicken and vegetable pieces. It is healthy food but you can keep the fat level low using less of chicken/cheese pieces and more vegetable.
Chicken shashlik recipes
|Preparation time||1 hour|
|Cooking time||45 minutes|
|Total time||1 hour 45 minutes|
Ingredients for chicken shashlik recipe
250 gm chicken breast
½ cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp yogurt
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp hot spice powder
1 tsp ginger paste
½ tsp garlic paste
2 tbsp oil
Process for chicken shashlik recipe
Clean and remove the fat from the chicken breast. Cut chicken pieces into 2×2 inch size with a good quality sharp knife. I recommended a good quality knife for cutting. Wash and rinse the chicken pieces. Cut onion, capsicum, and tomatoes into cube size.
Mix yogurt, lemon juice, ginger paste, garlic paste, chili powder, tomato sauce, salt, 1 tbsp oil, and hot spice powder in a bowl. Add the chicken pieces and vegetables to the spices mixture. Cover it and keep it for 45 minutes.
If your skewers are wooden then soak the skewers for 10 minutes before skewing. Skew marinated capsicum, chicken, tomato, and onion to the skewers (wooden spike) closely one by one. Make two or three sets on each skewer. Make the sticks until the chicken pieces are threaded. Brush the spice mixture over the sticks.
Take a baking tray. Spray or brush oil on the baking tray. Place the skewers on the tray and again brush a little oil on meat. Preheat the oven at 200⁰c for 5 minutes. Bake all shashliks at 180⁰c for 20 minutes then flip the skewers and bake for another 20 minutes. Remove the shashlik sticks from the tray.
If you want to avoid baking in an oven you can fry it through the burner. For frying the shashliks use a thick skillet. Heat oil in a thick skillet and fry both sides of the sticks until tender. For better result, after frying the shashlik you can bake it for only 10 minutes. That will give you a yummy look of shashlik.
- Preheat the
airfyerat 200⁰c for 5 minutes. Bake all shashliks at 180⁰c for 10 minutes then flip the skewers and bake for another 10 minutes.
- The chicken shashlik is ready to serve.
- Serve the chicken shashlik with homemade tomato sauce or any kind of sauce.
Vegetable shashlik recipe
If you don’t like meat or you have a problem with meat or chicken you can try this vegetable shashlik recipe. It is good as well as a healthy snack. I hope you will like this shashlik. The process for making vegetable shashlik is very simple and easy.
|Preparation time||25 Minutes|
|Cooking time||25 Minutes|
|Total time||50 Minutes|
Ingredients for Vegetable shashlik recipe
200 gm mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp chili powder
½ cup tomato sauce
½ cup chili sauce
1 tsp salt
Process for vegetable shashlik recipe
- Cut cheese, carrot, capsicum, onion, and tomatoes into the same (cube) size with a sharp knife. Always use a good quality knife for cutting. Mix tomato sauce, salt, and chili powder in a bowl. Apply the ingredients with cheese and carrots. Cover it and keep for 10-20 minutes. Skew pieces of capsicum, cheese, tomato, onion, and carrot to the skewers similarly one by one. Make two sets on each skewer. If you use wooden skewers or shashlik sticks, soak the skewers or sticks for 10 minutes before skewing.
- Spray or brush with chili sauce. Preheat oven at 200⁰c for 10 minutes. Bake all shashliks at 180⁰c for 10 minutes then flip the skewers and bake for another 10 minutes so that both sides are baked properly. Remove the shashlik sticks from the tray.
- Or you can fry the shashliks in a frying pan with oil until tender.
- Your vegetable shashlik recipe is ready to serve.
- Serve vegetable shashlik with the soft roll and homemade tomato sauce.
If you like my shashlik recipes please share these recipes with your family and friends.
I love to cook and like to share my delicious food recipes with my beloved friends.