Food is a basic human need. We get our every day’s energy, nutrients like vitamins, minerals fiber, in short nourishment, from the food that we eat. Our body needs various minerals and vitamins as well as energy to function properly. To be healthy and to keep our mind and body fresh we need nutritious foods. So, what are the most nutritious foods in the world? Foods containing essential nutrients like vitamin A, B complex, vitamin E, vitamin C, essential minerals like calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, folate, good fats mono, and polyunsaturated fatty acids (MUFA & PUFA), essential amino acids, and fiber are commonly considered as nutritious foods.
What is nutritious food?
Nutritious means foods that contain vitamins, beneficial fats, good carbohydrates, protein, minerals, as well as fiber. Typically nutrient-rich foods are nutritious foods. Nutritious foods keep us healthy, boost our body’s immune mechanism, and fights disease. Foods prepared with whole grains, healthy pulses, and leagues, nuts, colorful veggies, dark green vegetables, protein, and good carbs is a nutritious food. Fruits and vegetables are also an example of nutritious foods.
The top 10 most nutritious foods in the world:
- Drumstick or Moringa: Moringa or drumstick is loaded with many beneficial vitamins and minerals. This is an extremely nutritious food loaded with fiber, antioxidant vitamins, iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin B12, folate, etc. Drumstick improves your bone health, is great for your gut, prevents respiratory diseases, is beneficial for your skin, and helps in blood excreting toxic substances from the blood. Besides these are tons of health benefits of this food. And the exciting fact is, the leaf, stem, and fruits all are edible and loaded with beneficial nutrients. These are truly the most nutritious foods in the world.
- Spinach: Keeping spinach on your everyday diet is the wisest decision that you can make. This dark leafy vegetable is hugely beneficial. Because of its high soluble fiber content, this leafy vegetable is very good for your gut if you suffer constipation. However, if you have IBS, you need to be careful eating this leafy green. Spinach provides very low calories but a high amount of nutrients. Spinach is a rich source of vitamin C, folate, iron, calcium. This is rich in other essential vitamins also. Spinach is great for controlling blood sugar in diabetes, preventing cancer, its beta-carotene lowers the risk of asthma. So, start adding thismost nutritious food in the world to your daily diet.
- Berries: Berries are highly nutrient-dense, meaning they provide more vitamins and minerals than calories. Blueberries, raspberries, cranberries are good sources of flavonoids. Most of the berries are a rich source of antioxidant vitamins. Blueberries provide a high amount of vitamin K, manganese, fiber. Berries prevent cancer, take care of your skin’s health, and also reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- Whole grain cereals: Whole grain cereals like brown rice, brown flour are a great source of B complex vitamins, iron and they are very essential for providing our everyday energy. Whole grain cereals contain good carbohydrates.
- Pulses and legumes: In most poor countries and few developing countries, most of their protein demands are fulfilled by pulse consumption. Pulses and legumes contain a very high amount of protein. Pulse’s protein content is almost double of cereals. Pulses are a source of vitamins, minerals, like iron, magnesium, calcium, zinc, folate, iron, as well as fiber. So, eating lentils or any other pulse every day will partially fulfill your everyday protein demand.
- Leafy greens: Leafy greens are the most nutritious foods in the world. They contain very low energy but a high amount of minerals and vitamins. Leafy greens provide us beta-carotene, vitamin A, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E. Green leafy vegetables are the richest yet less expensive source of protein. Minimum 2 servings of leafy greens are a must in your daily diet. If you are on a weight reduction diet, then leafy green is the best and nutritious food for you.
- Nuts: Nuts are a very good source of protein. Besides, it provides us with lots of vitamins, minerals. Nuts are a very good source of healthy fats like polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). Nuts provide us with amino acids, polyphenols, antioxidants, fibers, and flavonoids. Almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, pistachios, walnuts, etc. are very good sources of protein, calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamin E. Roasted, salted, raw; nuts can be eaten in any form that you prefer.
- Fish and Shellfish: We need animal protein for our body’s nourishment. Fish is a great source of protein considering its bioavailability. First-class protein, calcium, iron, vitamin A, zinc, etc. Fishes are full of essential fatty acids which are good fats and beneficial for our skin, heart’s health. Salmon, cod liver oil, sardine, etc. fish are very nutritious for our health.
- Egg: Choline is a very essential nutrient for us and this is found in eggs, fish, beans, nuts, also in some vegetables. Eggs’ protein is of very good quality. It provides energy as well as essential vitamins and minerals. An egg is very rich in nutrients and is one of the most nutritious foods in the world.
- Milk: Milk is very essential for our bone health. Milk is one of the best sources of calcium. Also, milk is a great source of protein, potassium, lactose, essential fatty acids, triglycerides, casein, PUFA, MUFA, etc.
The Most Nutritious Food To Eat
The foods that have more nutritional value than calories, such as carbohydrates, protein, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats are called the most nutritious foods.
You may ask what the three best foods to eat for health. Zero nutritional value food cannot help our body to grow properly. Growth occurs both physically and mentally. Nutrient enriched food not only keeps our body fit but also keeps our mental health peaceful. The best three foods that keep our body healthy are;
- Dark Green Vegetables
- Whole Grains
Some most nutritious food to eat are;
Food basically provides us with 2 main types of nutrients, i) macronutrients, which are carbohydrates, proteins, and fat; and ii) micronutrients which are vitamins and minerals. These types are subdivided into 6 types of nutrients. The most nutritious food to eat contains these nutrients to a different extent.
The 6 types of nutrients and their functions are:
Water: In our body, 45-75% are water. It plays the most vital role in keeping our bodies healthy. Water helps to process our body’s different functions and keeps temperature accurately.
Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are the primary sources of energy in our bodies. Generally, blood sugar uses fuel in our body, generating powers in our body’s cells. Carbohydrates form from sugar, starch, or fiber.
Protein: Protein is produced from amino acids. The amino acids are considered the building blocks of our body’s tissues. Protein contributes to the repair, growth, and maintenance of our body’s tissue.
Fat: Fat is the source of energy in our body. It provides calories per gram in a double amount. In addition, it stores extra calories for use in an emergency.
Vitamins: Vitamins are crucial for our body to keep functioning correctly. There are different vitamins for different functions, such as helping metabolize, developing the immune system, and grow.
Minerals: Minerals are the essential elements of our body. Each mineral has different functions like metabolic processes. Some elements are part of the structure, such as calcium in our teeth and bones.
The Low-Calorie High Nutrition Foods
What do you need to eat every day to be healthy? We eat various foods every day. However, we do not think about the nutritional value of which foods we have. As a result, maternal and children’s health face various fatalities. People of developing countries like Bangladesh are suffering from malnutrition-related diseases like immune compromises, anemia, underweight, etc.
We get calories and nutrition from the foods that we eat. People who are on weight reduction are often very conscious amount low-calorie high nutrition foods. They look for the most nutritious foods in the world! Calories are an essential element of our body that keeps us energized and productive and nutrients make us healthy and fit. So, both of them are essential for us. However, High-calorie intake can be harmful to us. High-calorie intake leads to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and creates many more health complications. Low calories food stores fewer calories than other foods. So the stomach can digest those foods that contain fewer calories. Whatever the calories, nutrition enrichment is essential for keeping health and diseases free. Let’s see the foods that provide low-calorie but high in nutrition. Various fruits, colorful vegetables, dark green leafy vegetables, leafy vegetables, pulses are low-calorie high nutrition foods. Some examples of this type of food are apple, carrot, cabbage, cucumber, onion, pepper, papaya, strawberry, tomato, watermelon, etc. Some essential foods to eat every day that helps to keep our body healthy and fit and low-calorie high nutrition foods are;
- Vegetables and dark leafy greens
- Colorful Fruits
- Fish or Meat
We often think about what is a high nutrient diet. Well, a diet that proves us comparatively more nutrient than calorie is a high nutrient diet. It is composed of nutrient-dense foods, which means the food which has high vitamin and minerals content and very low calories. Colorful fruits and veggies, leafy greens, lean meat, egg, whole grains, sea fish soybean, etc. are nutrient-dense foods. Adding them to your daily diet will provide you with a high-nutrient diet.
Food with no nutritional value
There are also a few foods with no nutritional value. Foods with no nutritional value or zero nutritional value mean that food contains no nutritional value except some calories. This type of food does not contain vitamins, beneficial carbohydrates, protein, fats, and minerals. Zero nutritional value foods are formed with fat, sugar, and artificial components. It cannot provide proper nutrition to the body. Primarily packet and process foods are the example of these foods that are:
- Ice cream
- Hot chocolates
- Ice tea
The Natural Nutrition Food
The foods which have more nutrient components but have low calories are called high nutrient-dense foods. This type of food contains vitamins, complex carbohydrates, minerals, healthy fat, and lean protein. Examples of high nutrient-dense foods are fruits, vegetables, low-fat milk, whole grain, seafood, eggs, lean meats, beans, peas, and nuts.
In the market, some foods can provide proper nutrition to our bodies. These types of foods are called supplementary foods. Supplementary foods generally consist of in the laboratory. If we get these nutrients from natural food, we will be best for our health. Some natural nutrition foods are;
- Leafy Green Vegetables
- Sweet Potatoes
- Oily Fish
The Most Nutritious Vegetable In The World
We often wonder which one is the most nutritious vegetable in the world. Vegetables are undoubtedly good for our health. Vegetables generally contain low calories, but it is enriched with high fibers, minerals, and vitamins, and they are highly nutrient-dense. Some of the vegetables are used as a medication for fighting against diseases. It helps to reduce inflammation-related diseases and cancer.
Let’s see what are the main nutrients in vegetables. Vegetables, both leafy and non-leafy are highly nutrient-dense food. They are considered the cheapest source of nutrients. The main nutrients in vegetables are antioxidant vitamins like vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, vitamin B complex especially folate which is a form of folic acid. Also, fiber is the main nutrient in vegetables. Leafy greens contain a huge amount of fiber. Leafy greens contain some anti-nutrient compounds like phytate oxalates which interfere with mineral absorption.
Some most nutritious vegetables in the world are:
- Brussels Sprouts
- Green Peas
- Red Cabbage
- Sweet Potatoes
- Collard Greens
What are nutrient-rich foods?
The foods which provide us a high amount of vitamins, minerals, healthful carbohydrates, beneficial fats, protein, and low calories are called nutrient-rich foods. Vegetables and fruits are considered nutrient-enriched foods. Meats, dairy, whole grains, nuts, legumes, and seeds are also highly nutrient-enriched foods.
- Dark Green Vegetable
Sometimes, we think that expensive foods are nutrient-enriched. However, this idea is not true at all. We consume food to keep our bodies and mind healthy and fit. We should not consider the price of food. Before eating, keep in mind what nutrients the foods have. Some cheapest but most nutritious foods are;
- Colorful vegetables
- Dark leafy greens
- Brown Rice
- Nonfat Yogurt
- Dried Lentils
You may wonder that what is the most nutritious plant on the planet? Foods are composed of macronutrients and micronutrients. No single food can provide all the nutrients in high amounts. Some foods contain some nutrients in high amounts, other foods contain the same nutrients in lower amounts. Moringa or drumstick is the most nutritious plant on the planet. This most nutritious plant is kale, spirulina, and spinach. It has more health benefits. Moringa is enriched with vitamins A, C, E, and calcium, promoting bone health and preventing heart disease. It is also the source of potassium. Potassium usually helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
This question may arise in your mind that which fruit has the highest nutritional value? Fruits are nutritionally very rich food. They are naturally nutritious foods. Also, fruits are one of the best low-calorie high nutrition foods. They are essential sources of our daily nutrition. Fruits are an excellent source of vitamins especially antioxidant vitamins and minerals. Fruits provide antioxidants that help to improve our immune system. Fruits having the highest nutritional value are lemons, strawberries, oranges, mangoes, limes, lychee, grapefruit, blackberries, apples, pomegranate, pineapple, bananas, avocado.
1. Drumstick or Moringa
Moringa or drumstick is the most nutritious plant on the planet. Moringa is enriched with vitamins A, C, E, and calcium, promoting bone health and preventing heart disease.
This dark leafy vegetable is hugely beneficial. Because of its high soluble fiber content, this leafy vegetable is very good for your gut if you suffer constipation.
Berries are highly nutrient-dense, meaning they provide more vitamins and minerals than calories.
4. Whole Grain
Whole grain cereals like brown rice, brown flour are a great source of B complex vitamins, iron and they are very essential for providing our everyday energy.
5. Pulses and legumes
Pulses and legumes contain a very high amount of protein. Pulse’s protein content is almost double of cereals.
6. Leafy greens
Leafy greens are the most nutritious foods in the world. They contain very low energy but a high amount of minerals and vitamins.
Nuts are a very good source of protein. Besides, it provides us with lots of vitamins, minerals.
8. Fish and Shellfish
Fishes are full of essential fatty acids which are good fats and beneficial for our skin, heart’s health.
Milk is very essential for our bone health. Milk is one of the best sources of calcium.
An egg is very rich in nutrients and is one of the best nutritious food in the world.
List Of Nutritious Foods To Eat Every Day
We eat food to keep our bodies active. Food contains several nutrients. These elements provide calories, carbohydrates, essential minerals for balancing organs, etc. Nutrients are crucial, and it contributes to correct growth, sound health, and reproduction. What are all the nutrients you need in a day and which ones are the most nutritious foods in the world? World Health Organization divides nutrients into two categories that are macronutrients and micronutrients. Micronutrients consist of minerals and vitamins. On the other hand, Macronutrients consist of protein, water, fat, and carbohydrate. The essential nutrients that need in a day of a person are:
Food nourishes our bodies, keeps us healthy, and gives us the energy to perform our day-to-day work. As we get our required nutrition from the food we eat, the foods we eat every day should be nutritious. How are the foodstuffs and their nutrients contents useful for the body? The foods that we eat are metabolized in our body and we get energy. This is a complex process. Also, digestion starts when we food. The first step of digestion initiates in our mouth. When we eat, various enzymes are secreted and start to metabolize the food we eat. Enzymes break carbohydrates, proteins, fats into small particles (units) to make the digestion. Digestion basically happens in your stomach. Then, absorption happens. In this process, beneficial components like vitamins and minerals are sent to different organs through the bloodstream, and the toxic, waste products are excreted from our body. Nutrients carried by the bloodstream nourish our body makes us healthy.
So, what are the nutritious foods to eat every day? Foods that contain proteins, vitamins, minerals, and fibers are nutritious. These types of foods help us to be healthy and keep us fit to work. Let’s see the list of nutritious foods to eat every day.
Beans: Seeds and beans, also nuts, are a concentrated source of energy. They are very rich in protein, magnesium, zinc, folate, iron, fiber
Non-starchy Vegetables: Tomato, carrot, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, beet, etc.
Leafy Vegetables: Leafy greens are low-calorie high nutrition foods. Spinach, kale, beet greens, mustard leaves, watercress, etc.
Fruits and nuts: Apple, orange, watermelon, strawberry, grapes, almond, cashew nut, peanut, etc.
Cereals: whole-grain cereals quinoa, brown rice, brown bread, etc.
Meat and Fish: Chicken breast, lean meat, salmon, sardine, tuna, etc.
Milk: Skimmed or low-fat milk and curd.
Food that have more nutrients
One common question that often crosses our mind is how I can eat more nutrients. What food will offer me the most nutrients, or which food is the most nutritious food in the world? Well, the answer is pretty easy. Eating a balanced diet. Yes, it is very simple. A balanced diet is planned carefully keeping in mind that one can get more nutrients from their diet. We need all the 6 nutrient contents to be healthy e.g. carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. As fruits and vegetables are highly nutrient-dense, eating these every day will fulfill your nutrient requirement and also provide you with more nutrients. A balanced diet means those diets that can provide sufficient amounts of nutrients for the body. Let’ see what are the 7 nutrients needed for a balanced diet:
Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are the primary sources of energy in our bodies. Carbohydrates fuels our body. Our body relies on carbohydrates for energy. 1 g of carbohydrate gives us 4 kcal of energy.
Protein: Protein is another macronutrient that helps our growth. Protein is a very essential nutrient for us, particularly for kids. Protein maintains cell structure, gives strength to our muscle tissue, and performs many more functions.
Fats: Fat is the source of energy in our body. It provides 9 kilocalories per gram. Fat stores energy, regulate our body signals, provides essential fatty acids, and does perform many other bodily functions.
Vitamins: Vitamins are micronutrients that are required in very low amounts. But their deficiencies hamper body functions hugely. They maintain our nourishment.
Minerals: Minerals are the essential micronutrients for our body. Like vitamins, they are also needed in very small amounts to keep our body healthy.
Fibers: Fiber is a very essential nutrient. It helps to digest food in our stomach. Fiber contributes to passing other nutrients into the gut. Fiber prevents constipation.
Water: Water is one of the most important nutrients for the body. Water is needed for metabolizing the foods we eat and the medicine that we take. Water keeps us hydrated. Water deficiency causes dehydration which is very harmful to our body and brain.
Food is composed of many elements such as carbohydrates, proteins, fats, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. All foods contain these nutrients, some in higher amounts while others in low amounts. The foods that contain a higher amount of beneficial nutrients and comparatively low amounts of calories are sometimes called superfoods. Foods, rich in beneficial nutrients are berries, drumstick, garlic, leafy vegetables, fish, olive oil, nuts, tomato, yogurt, whole grains.
Food is one of the very important basic human needs. Food that we eat should be healthy as its main responsibility is to make us healthy and productive. Eating nutrient-dense foods can make us fit and fine. Low-calorie high nutrition foods are the most nutritious foods in the world.